Saturday, February 12, 2011

Too. Much. Driving.

You know, I probably wouldn't care so much about how many miles I have driven in the past month if I wasn't always taking the exact same route. For example, if I was driving across the country to somewhere new, mileage? Not such a big deal because I don't see the same scenery over. and over. and over. And I tell you what, that stretch from Cincinnati to Columbus on I-71 gets flatter and more boring every time you drive it.

When I came back to my family's house yesterday (Friday) I discovered all sorts of things had been moved around, Anne is sorting through videos and cleaned up the basement and organized the linen closet... and she intends to dispose of most of the VHS films we have, including all of the Disney stuff! So I''m going home with all kinds of movies after all this.

However, it's also rather disheartening, especially when Anne explained why she was doing it.
"Well, you know, Dad's probably going to sell the house in a year or so..."

Wait, what?

I've almost always lived in this house. I grew up in this house. I LOVE this house. Dad not live here??? Seriously? We haven't even had grandkids for him yet!

I cannot imagine my dad NOT living in this old house. We've done so much work on it, repainted both the inside and outside, recently bought new furniture including a new chair and trundle beds, have more books than could ever be counted... if he moves, he'll move into an apartment or duplex or something, and most likely will have to sell or give away most of the furniture and a lot of the stuff because it just won't fit in an apartment. And boy, did that make me sad. After my grandfather died in 1984, my grandma held onto her house and lived in it alone all the way up until I was halfway through high school. Which would mean she kept it for a good 18 years. But Dad will sell a mere year after? I just don't know. I don't know if I can handle that, and if he moves I don't know how often I'd come to visit anymore. It would be so strange and weird. Where would we have Christmas as a family? Would Dad travel to us? How would we visit with all our kids someday and all fit into his hypothetical apartment?

I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, but quite honestly this whole concept makes me heart hurt. I don't even really want to think about it, but I really can't help it. If I lived around here and could buy the house and live in it myself I... no, actually I wouldn't. That would be really strange, I don't think I could handle sleeping next to my husband in my parent's old room. Ick. Weird. I'd feel like I have to call Dad anytime I wanted to change something and get his permission before just doing it.

Anywho, I just spent the day with my cousins eating Chipotle (which they have never had before... those CT people are SO depraved) and Tom's Ice Cream and watching old home videos again. My cousin Sara was in many of them because she always came to hang with us when we'd visit. They all leave first thing tomorrow so it was nice to spend the day with them.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is February 13th. It is also known as Johnny's and my eight month anniversary. :D He actually wanted to go to Chipotle tomorrow, but we kinda already went and I cannot handle two days in a row so now I get to think of a new restaurant. It also helps that this will be the day before Valentine's so we can kinda mix the two together.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

My father passed away when I was 12; my mother moved the year after I got married, and to be honest with you- it's still never the same. Dorothy said it best "There's no place like home." Take one day and one thing at a time. Yesterday's over, tomorrow's not here yet, just breathe.

Shellie M said...

That would be strange. I guess it makes sense for him, but I can only imagine how many memories are in that house.

Happy Anniversary!