Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Emmanuel the Mardstrel

So, a few months ago a friend of mine posted a status asking about another word for a bard, which led to us coming up with a whole new word and a story line and I told her I'd write the story, she could illustrate. She is, after all, a fine artist. Here is my work in progress, copyright Emily Blood 2010, and we hope to make it into a children's book someday. Enjoy!!

I went to the village one lovely fall day
To visit the potter and trade eggs in for clay
In the midst of the hustle I saw a face
I had ne'er seen in three leagues of this place.
"That's Emmanuel the Mardstrel", the potter said with a grin
"They can't keep him out so they just let him in!"
"What's a mardstrel?" I asked as we both watched on

"Why it's a bard and a minstrel all rolled into one!
He plays strings with his fingers, has bells on his toes
And wreaks havoc in every village he goes!"


In the town of Grand Bugsby, the potter began
The mardstrel decided he wanted a tan.
He broke into houses and stole all the lamps
To lie under in the square without any pants.
In Hansen last summer, the potter went on,
He decided they needed less brains and more brawn
So he burned down the school, the church and the bridge
'Cos smarter folks live on the opposite ridge.


Just as he finished the potter stopped short
And looked toward the square with an angry snort
Quick as a flash he had knocked the bard flat!
"Get out of this town and never come back!
We don't need your help, this town is just fine,
So spare us your mischief or I'll break your spine!"



Aaaaaannnnd that's all I've got. Still a work in progress. :)

2 comments:

Nessie the Bibliophile said...

bwahaha, just the other day I was wondering what ever happened with this idea! I'll have to get crack-a-lackin' on those illustrations!

p.s. thanks for the 'fine artist' ;)

Nessie the Bibliophile said...

also, this looks awesome so far :)