Sunday, January 9, 2011

Let's talk about the clothes vs age phenomenon.

For any of you who have ever watched What Not To Wear, the main thing Stacey and Clinton tell everyone is to dress age appropriate. My question is, what is age appropriate when you're nearly twenty-five and right in the middle of still being a student and being an adult?

Though I have to dress business casual for work four of five days out of the week, I tend to be most comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt with a hoodie and chucks. In the winter, at least. In summer I have a growing collection of summer dresses. The main problem is that it's hard to dress cute when you're uncomfortable with your body and it's one of those days where everything just looks wrong.

I would like to tell you that the jeans I am wearing in this photo are too big. By kind of a lot.

There are some people who can just put on anything and still look like an adult. Then there are those of us who are 5'3" tall with a family tradition of large hips and thighs, a size that does not work well with today's popular styles. Skinny jeans just enhance the thigh, and those tunic shirts don't do much for the hourglass figure except to make it look thicker than it is. Also, as Kelly Osborne so wisely stated in an article about her weight loss, one pound gained on a short person looks like five so, for a former anorexic, one pound gained really looks and feels like five and suddenly everything tried on does nothing but enhance the excess.

So moving back to the issue of age vs dress, I in my self-conscious world often feel most comfortable in clothes that make me look seven years younger than I am, while dressing more my age makes me feel like a five year old in mommy's clothing. There's no even ground. Sometimes I get very lucky and find something that makes me look older, or I get just the right haircut... Does anyone else experience this?

I really wish I lived in the 50s. Those clothes were MADE for people like me. Cinch the waist, hide the hips with a large swishy skirt and enhance the calves with two inch pumps? Sign me up! If only vintage clothes were cheaper... and more comfortable!

2 comments:

Jessica Ellis said...

Have you ever tried shopping at H&M? I've only had a few things from there but love the way their clothes fit. I've found that it's helpful to find 'a store' that's 'yours' to shop @; mine is NY&CO...esp for business casual. You are tiny, though, so are you in b/w juniors and misses?

Emily B said...

I've been to H&M, but the one I went to around here really didn't have much. I liked more in the little boys dept than the girls, lol. I've tried NY&Co and I've gotten stuff there, but a lot of it doesn't fit quite right. I do tend to shop more Jrs and Misses than Women's.