Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Update 14

I really wasn't home today.

While I worked this morning Aunt Lauri and Erin made a grocery list after my good friend June asked me on FB if we needed anything. As the list got longer and longer I just wrote "dixie cups" to June and decided to get the rest myself.

Finished work, took a shower, ate two pieces of cheese, went to Walmart, spent an hour and a half printing pictures and getting groceries and buying myself a Payday to keep from falling over from low blood sugar, went to CVS to get a prescription for Grandma, and then came home. I also left my phone at home so as I drove down the hill to the house I was preparing to work myself into a respectable panic attack just in case Mom had died while I was gone and no one could get a hold of me.

She didn't.

When I got back I grabbed one of the bags of chips I just bought and ate them as my sisters and I began to tear apart Mom and Dad's room to separate Mom's clothes and jewelry between us. This, for some reason, didn't really bother me much. It was a little surreal, for sure, but it didn't really affect me, negatively or otherwise. Jennie, on the other hand, had a really hard time with it. But due to this major two-three hour project my wardrobe has nearly doubled in size. I have no idea where to put it all, and I even have a walk-in closet in my apartment!

Dinner today was leftover chicken from the wedding I was in a week and a half ago. Apparently there was quite a bit leftover. Also, June, the friend who got married, stopped by and we had a good long chat about all kinds of things that had very little to do with Mom and this situation. It was much needed and VERY appreciated. I've already told her that when Mom finally goes I'm escaping to June's house.

Mom slept all day long, from what I've been told. She had a very hard night and her legs have gotten extremely weak. Dad said that when he helps her to the commode it's more him than her now. Swallowing is very difficult, and I don't remember if I mentioned this yesterday but Mom actually choked on a pill and spat it back out a good fifteen minutes after initially taking it. That was a terrifying moment, since it took all of us a moment to figure out what was wrong and another moment to reach her. Due to this we don't allow her to swallow her pills anymore. Dad gives the Xanax by making a paste and rubbing it on the inside of her cheeks. The rest is given a different way, I won't be all TMI about that one...

She woke up about an hour ago due to some pain and discomfort, but hopefully tonight will be a quiet one. Last night she was up every 2-3 hours until around 6:30am so here's hoping we don't have a repeat. Our house is full to overflowing with people and we are still overwhelmed by the kindness of our friends and neighbors. We thank God every time we remember you.

1 comment:

Shellie M said...

It's neat that you & your sisters can make use of your mom's things - she has great taste and you all do too. Glad to hear you were able to get out today. We are praying for relief for your whole family right now.