Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Surprised Much?

So, I was driving home from Kroger and suddenly there was this overwhelming scent of melted cheese and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why... until I realized I was driving past the Macaroni Grill.

I hadn't been at work for long today when suddenly this girl I had seen around the office but never met appears and hands me this large white gift bag with a card hanging off the side. Confused, I thanked her and she walked away.

Brigette, across the aisle, asked if it was my birthday and I'm like noo... my birthday was in February! So I open the card to find that it's a condolence card. My first thought was, wow. How sweet of her! My second thought was how on earth did she know? As far as I knew the only people who knew were my boss and my two coordinators (at least until I told some other people about it) and they swore they hadn't told anyone.

In either case, it was incredibly sweet of her and the card she wrote to me was even sweeter.

Come to find out later that apparently this girl had overheard my boss discussing my Mom's death with one of my coordinators and so she asked about it and they told her. Then, for awhile now, God has been putting it on her heart to do something kind for me, so she gave me this present.
Inside was a lovely journal, a photo album, an orange-mandarin (? I think?) candle, and the entire bottom was laced with butterscotch candies, which I piled onto my desk with a homemade sign that says "Eat Me". No one did (I had a couple) but I left it there and will continue to leave it there until people do.

Anyway, this is by far the best thing that has happened to me at this job, besides being allowed to work from home for three weeks while my mom was in hospice. It absolutely made my day that much brighter. Thanks so much, Jessica! It meant more to me than you'll ever know. :)

No comments: