Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding

You know, it's interesting how people only care about the things that directly affect them personally.

In reading through status updates on Facebook today a good number of my friends posted about how little they care about the royal wedding this morning in Britain. Others were over the moon about it. But what I noticed is that no one who was over the moon was bashing anyone who didn't care, but a lot of the people who didn't care were bashing those who did, saying how we won the Revolutionary War and if you like monarchs so much move back. 

Silly opinion, I think, considering world events DO matter to us. People care about the situation in Lybia because we have troops over there and it's affecting our gas prices. People care about Iraq and Afghanistan because of the war against terrorism and the fact that we have troops over there. What if we tried caring about other countries, other people? 

I, personally, watched the royal wedding not to see her dress, not just so I can say I did, but because tomorrow it will be history. Important history. I don't know about you, but I learned about all the wives of Henry the VIII and about Bloody Mary and all of those other British monarchs from legends past when I was in school. The world was devastated when Princess Diana died, and yet look at all of those who could care less about her son's marriage and their efforts to make it in memorium of his mother. 

Prince William in second in line to the British throne after his father. At some point, circumstances permitting, he will be the King of England. While I know the king really has very little power, there is still much he would be in charge of and what he does can and might impact the United States. I guarantee that if/when that happens those people who could care less about the monarchs of England will suddenly care quite a bit. Not to mention that we like the British when they ally with us for the various wars we have fought in, among other things. 

So you know what, naysayers? I don't care if you don't care about the wedding. Kindly keep it to yourself. And if you write any comments bashing the opinions I write here in my personal blog, I will gleefully delete them. 

Happy Weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's see if this posts today and if I can remember what all I typed yesterday because I think it was pretty darn good.

Let's see if this posts today and if I can remember what all I typed yesterday because I think it was pretty darn good.

Prince William and Catherine, I know, will totally revolutionize the Monarchy. Because, the two of them are so outwardly focused on others, and not so much on themselves (at least it's what I see in the papers and on TV). THEY ARE HUMAN just like you and I, so they have their faults as well (I'm not discounting that). When you look at the Queen and what happened within the past decade with Princess Diana then with the fact that Charles wedded his mistress (the cause of his divorce with Diana), how she appears to be “shut off” to the fact that there are people in this world who are hurting, dying, starving and alike. She didn’t like Diana holding out her heart within her hands asking, “How can I help?” Prince William and Catherine do that. Both of them are educated and know that we live in a world that is fighting against itself.

And since they were unable to say their own vows the wrote their own prayer which was very endearing; “God our Father, we thank you for our families; for the love that we share and for the joy of our marriage. In the business of each day keep our eyes fixed on what is real and important in life and help us to be generous with our time and love and energy. Strengthened by our union, help us to serve and comfort those who suffer. We ask this in the spirit of Jesus Christ. Amen.”

I believe that this speaks MOUNTAINS of where their hearts are not only for each other but as well as for their country and for the world.

I am happy to have been privileged in witnessing this union between these two people. I think it gives us a very small, micro glimpse into the wedding of the Lamb of God. I know that we are unable even begin to fathom what it will be like. But if this is just a small fraction of what it will be, I know that I am royalty because I’m a child of my one true King: my Father and Lord, God.