Monday, February 28, 2011

Adulthood: It's all in the power tools.

My weekend was lovely. Not only did I successfully teach my friend to skate well enough to eventually make it around the rink twice with only one minor fall, but I also did all of my laundry and had a wonderful time with my Johnny. And as an added bonus, I had a short breakfast on Saturday with a good friend and got my ears candled (for those who don't know, this means I went to a little boutique spa where they lit the ends of beeswax funnels on fire and stuck the small end inside my ear to suck out all the build up). It was amazing what a difference that process makes on my hearing! Plus I got to chill at SpaGirl and chat it up with the owner and the mother of a peer from my grade school days all about my upcoming wedding (in just over 193 days... ah! Panic!). Speaking of which, Johnny and I start premarital counseling on the 13th. Finally!

I made it back to Cincinnati on Sunday in time to catch the end of the Oscars. As I do not have cable tv because I don't have the money, I bought one of those digital converter boxes.

After I brought it home and read the directions I realized I should also have bought a TV antenna. When I told Johnny my mistake he said "Oh, I have one you can use". Then we forgot about it when I saw him, so two weeks or more after I bought the darn thing I finally got the antenna. The moment I got in the door of my apartment last night I was hooking everything up.


 The antenna hooks into the box, which plugs into the tv, all three have to be plugged in, and then I had to steal the AAA batteries from my guitar tuner to make the converter's remote control work so I could program it and find all the channels. I get 19 channels, including the one that was showing
The Oscars!!!
I know, that is a terrible photo.
The picture kept skipping and pixelating and I realized I had to adjust the antenna to fix that. Totally new concept to me, since I've had cable my whole life, but it's good to learn new things!
All of this I did on my own with no major problems except for the one where I didn't have any AAA batteries... But it was all worth it to see Colin Firth win Best Actor in a Leading Role and The King's Speech win Movie of the Year. Completely and totally deserved.

Just to make sure I continued feeling like an adult after my converter box achievement, I went into the office today for the first time in two weeks and I actually have a cubicle. My own cubicle, for the first time ever. Then I blew my own stats out of the water by completing 255 claims, 22 claims past the required 233. For the past two weeks working from home has made it so I was only able to finish anywhere from 165-200 so this was a big deal. Of course all of this adult-ness was ruined when I went for a power walk around the neighboring church parking lot for 25 minutes as the beginning of my Denise Austin regime. Power walking always makes me feel stupid, but I'm not supposed to run so I guess I'll have to deal.

Then I came home and paid my bills.
**sigh** Being an adult is so lame. After this I'll be doing my workout, writing a grocery list, and cleaning up so I can stand my apartment tomorrow. At some point soon I'm going to start canvassing the Goodwills in the area for a coffee table. It's amazing how quickly being a kid ends and responsibility starts.
But feeling adult doesn't mean I have to dress and act like one! Peace, homies!

2 comments:

Gwiddle said...

I'm glad that it was a good weekend for you ♥ I haven't been ice skating in ages! I just caught a glimpse of the Oscars yesterday but I did see that The Kings Speech had won. To be honest I haven't even seen nor heard of this movie >.< That has got to change I guess! Have a lovely evening!

Emily B said...

Thanks!! Skating was SO fun, and one of the few things I'm good at. It's not surprising you hadn't heard of The King's Speech, it was limited release and I only knew of it because my best friend drug me to see it a month or two ago. SO worth it, though, I definitely recommend it! :D