Sunday, August 15, 2010

PLEASE don't send me to Africa!

I go to church every Sunday (except for the ones when I visit my best friend because she attends church on Monday) and for the past three weeks each and every sermon I have heard is about missions.

Week 1: Village Vineyard in Columbus where their pastor, Josh, gave a message called Go, Give, Get. The idea is that you GO to people/places, you GIVE Jesus to them, and you GET exponentially what you gave so you have more to give later. Simple, fun, meaningful message.

Week 2: A church in Canton South that has the word "Zion" in the name, but I can't remember the name exactly right now, where a guest missionary currently serving in Bolivia told stories about his experiences in the various countries he has been to and then played the saw most beautifully.

Week 3: Friendship Baptist Church in New Concord, my home church, where our associate pastor spoke about his recent trip to Cairo, IL, with his oldest daughter.

To add to this madness, I recently purchased and began reading Red Moon Rising by Pete Greig. He writes about his experiences in England working for a crazy awesome church but feeling as though he was settling. He got restless. God had a bigger vision. So he and his wife and their son took off and drove all over Europe, visiting churches and the location for a 125 year prayer meeting and giving flowers and chocolates to prostitutes while telling them Jesus loves them and a myriad of other things that all eventually lead into him beginning the 24/7 Prayer movement that has swept the world. And as I read about these adventures and what God did with this quiet, unlikely candidate for such an amazing mission all I could think was, This man is doing everything I've always thought of doing. I want to travel Europe, meeting people and making friends and contacts and getting to know them, etc, and for the past two years I have felt that God has bigger plans for me.

I'm a restless spirit. It's hard for me to settle, and I know that if I were to settle into a normal, middle class American suburban lifestyle that I would go insane with boredom. And as I began to read that book and after three weeks of nothing but sermons about missions I'm afeared that God wants me to be a missionary.

Not that being a missionary is such a bad thing. I just know myself, and I know that I'm not exactly the best of witnesses and I hate initiative evangelism with so much passion and this would mean extensive prayer, yet another epic fail of mine. Then again, just as I wrote that I'm hearing Moses' excuses when God told him to be an Israelite HE-RO and God used him anyway.

And there's always that chance I'm interpreting this all wrong.

We shall see.

No comments: