Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's LGN time!

As my wedding is only in 185 days (six months exactly from tomorrow!) I have begun the arduous task of getting into shape.

Last summer running, The Firm, and yoga got me good and toned all the way up until my knee surgery. Then I once again became a lazy bum. Now it is time to reverse that effect!

Because of the degenerative cartilage in my knees I'm not supposed to run more than 2 or 3 miles at MOST three times per week. No worries about that, there's nowhere to run around here except a church parking lot and I can't run for longer than three minutes in the chilly weather before I'm totally winded. So to create interest and give me something more interesting and effective than yoga (in terms of fat burning) I bought another video from The Firm yesterday. Technically I'm not supposed to do anything high impact to save my sad knees, but this particular video advertises itself as being low impact and will therefore be better on my knees.

Sort of related side note: when I was kid I would watch my mom huff and puff and sweat away while doing aerobics in front of the television and I would think to myself, "I'll never do that". Eating my words now. Hopefully they're no fat low cal words.

So that video should get here within the next week or so. I figure I can do that video two or three times per week, do yoga one day to stretch myself out, and then every other week on Tuesdays at 7:15pm go to...



There is a Zumba class at the local rec center. I discovered this last night based on suggestions from Facebook friends. Each class is only $5 and after I talked myself into going (I'm not very good with the whole all alone in a group of strangers thing) I really enjoyed myself! The normal teacher is very sick right now so we had a substitute. She

Kicked.
My.
Butt.

It was crazy! So fast paced and intense, I didn't even realize how much I was sweating till I came home and peeled off my clothing. It was kind of a bear on my knees so I can't do it often, probably a bi-weekly thing, but boy was it fun! She had us moving and lunging and cha-cha-ing for over an hour. I'm amazed I can still move today.

This was my first time doing group aerobics, and also my first time doing any kind of aerobics or dancing in front of a mirror so I could see my every move. I'm often terrified that I look like a total idiot when I dance or work out, but watching myself last night I can tell you that I'm actually not bad. Pretty good, actually, if I'm going to be honest with you. I was one of maybe five new people and the room was packed and as I looked around a lot of them seemed as though they hadn't been there before either. But I was also told that the normal teacher doesn't kick butts like that either so perhaps that's why.

I still have half an hour before I have to go to work! I'll probably leave a little early and stop to get myself some orange juice. I used the last of it yesterday and that makes me sad.

In either case, I am determined to look hot hot hot on my wedding day, and I'm excited to really get started!

Ciao!

1 comment:

Gwiddle said...

Haha your so cute. I hate working out!! But I do have Zumba tapes but I just can't get into them! I LOVE doing yoga but one of my wrists can't bear weight on it at all so I can't do yoga anymore:( BOO! My friend has been trying to get me to go to a Zumba class with her.. BUT I am very socially awkward and when it comes to being in public around other people I kind of freak. Hopefully one day soon I will brave it! Your wedding will be here before you know! I need to get down to my "pre marriage" weight. I'm up like 16 pounds and I haven't even been married a year! haha