Thursday, October 21, 2010

Oh Great, Deep Thought...

As most of you know, my job is exceptionally boring, so to alleviate boredom I have various DVDs playing in the background. For awhile it was Gilmore Girls. Then it was NCIS. Once I ran out of those it became various films such as the Pirates trilogy, and often times it has been the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have found LOTR to be a really wonderful film to have in the background, and today was a LOTR day.

When I watch films like LOTR or the Narnia films I am often overwhelmed by a melancholy feeling, or nostalgia, or even wonderment. J.R.R. Tolkein created a phenomenal world, one which it is easy to believe truly existed. It is easy to think that once upon a fairytale Elves were the dominant life force in the world, sided by dwarves and men and the occasional wizard. It is easy to believe in an ancient world based on valor and crowned in glory. A world where the Age of the Elves ends and the Age of Men begins, where there is a City of Kings, where Horse Lords rule the land, with legends and tales and honor and duty... I just can't find the words to explain what it does to me. When I watch The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe's final scene in Narnia where the four royals are crowned and they crown Peter "King Peter, the Magnificent"... Wow. Just... wow. Magnificent. Just. Gentle. Valiant. Words you rarely hear in today's society. True valor is lost. Justice is replaced by little black books and honor by little white lies. Magnificent ancient memories are made into museums or torn down for condos, people care little about the troubles of others. It's a different world we live in. And how sad for us.

How very, very sad.

No comments: